In order to open and contribute to an HSA, you must meet all of the following conditions:
- You must be covered by an HSA-qualifying high deductible health plan (HDHP);
- You must not be covered by any other health plan that is not a HDHP (this includes a general purpose health care FSA);
- You must not be enrolled in Medicare, TRICARE or TRICARE for Life;
- You must not be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return; and
- You must not have not received VA benefits within the past three months, except for preventive care (this exclusion does not apply if you are a veteran with a disability rating from the VA).