Under IRS rule, pre-tax benefit elections are irrevocable during a plan year and may only be changed if certain qualifying events occur that create a change in status. These status change events allow you to enroll in, waive, or make changes* to the following benefits within 31 days of a qualifying event:
- Flexible spending accounts (FSA)
- Life insurance (subject to evidence of insurability with Aetna)
- Legal services
Status change elections and any supporting documentation must be submitted to the OEB within 31 days of any qualifying event. Any request beyond the 31-day window will be denied.
Except for birth/adoption or a return from an unpaid leave of absence, all status change elections are effective on a prospective basis.
* You may NOT make changes at the PLAN level for a coverage that you had already enrolled in. Example: If you had enrolled in Anchor Plus, so long as your qualifying event is consistent with your requested change, you may switch from single coverage to family coverage and vice versa, but you may NOT switch to Anchor or Anchor Choice.
What's Considered a Qualifying Event?
- Domestic partnership
- Dependent turning 26
- Certain family relations orders/decrees
- Change from full-time to part-time employment or vice versa for you or your spouse/domestic partner
- Commencement or return from an unpaid leave of absence for you or your spouse/domestic partner
- Employment begins or ends, or open enrollment period for spouse/domestic partner
How Do I Make a Status Change Election?
If you are commencing or returning from an unpaid leave of absence
Please email for assistance on processing your benefit elections.
All other qualifying events
Medical/prescription, dental, and vision coverage
- Log onto OnlinEnroll at uhc.workterra.net to make your status change elections and submit supporting documentation.
- Follow the OnlinEnroll User Guide - Status Changes if you need help navigating.
- Can't log into OnlinEnroll / need help resetting your password? Call the OnlinEnroll tech support line at (888) 327-2770 from 11am-8pm EST.
FSA, life insurance, and/or legal coverage
- Please email for assistance on how to make status change elections for these benefits.