Vision Coverage


The State of Rhode Island’s vision plan is administered by the Vision Service Plan (VSP). Coverage for participating employees is effective the first day of state employment.

Note: If you have a dependent who is age 19-25 and a full-time student enrolled under your vision plan, you must submit annual re-certification by November 30, 2017 to maintain their coverage. The re-certification process is done through Delta Dental as part of the State's dental plan; see the "Enrollment" tab on the Dental page for more information.

Coverage Details

Please see the VSP Benefits Summary for an overview of the State vision coverage.

Click here to find a participating doctor.

No ID cards are issued to VSP members; the ID number is your Social Security Number. At your appointment, tell your doctor that you are a member of VSP in order for him/her to verify your VSP eligibility.

New! Starting with the November 2017 open enrollment period, VSP is pleased to offer participating employees additional benefits: Eyeconic®, a one-stop shop for purchasing eyewear, viewing vision insurance coverage, and accessing the VSP doctor network, and TruHearing®, a hearing aids program that offers exclusive discounts to VSP members and their families. See the flyers below to learn more:

Any State employee that satisfies all of the following criteria is eligible to enroll:

The following dependents are also eligible for enrollment:

  • Spouse
  • Domestic partner
  • Children (Covered up until the end of the year that they turn age 19. Children over age 19 are covered up until the end of the year in which they turn age 25 as long as they are full-time students taking 12 or more credits and submit annual school certifications.)
Enrollment Periods

Employees may enroll in vision coverage during one of the following periods:

Enrollment Process

Note: You only need to submit one copy of the following form(s) and documentation to the OEB if you are also enrolling in medical and/or dental coverage.

Step 1: Required form
Complete and submit the Health Coverage Enrollment/Status Change Form to the OEB.

Step 2: Required supporting documentation
Supporting documentation must also be submitted with the Health Coverage Enrollment/Status Change Form for the following circumstances:

  • Spouses
    • Dual state-employed spouses
      If two spouses are both state employees—i.e., an employee answers “Yes” in section 7 of the Health Coverage Enrollment/Status Change Form, they must also complete and attach the Dual State-Employed Spouses Declaration Form.
    • Divorce
      Per statute, the State employee health plan cannot provide coverage to a non-state-employee former spouse. For all divorces occurring subsequent to December 31, 2013, employees must report the divorce as a status change on the Health Coverage Enrollment/Status Change Form; the non-state-employee former spouse will be dropped from coverage and offered COBRA.
  • Domestic partnerships
    • Employees must attach completed copies of the Affidavit of Domestic Partnership and the Domestic Partner Dependent Declaration Form with supporting evidentiary documentation in order to enroll a domestic partner in medical/prescription/dental/vision coverage.
    • Note: The fair market value of the state’s contribution towards the cost of health coverage for a domestic partner is considered imputed income to the employee, and must be reported as taxable income on the employee’s bi-weekly paycheck unless the domestic partner qualifies as a dependent of the employee under the IRS rules and regulations for health plans. Click here to see an example of how to calculate imputed income.
  • Children
    • Employees must attach a copy of their child’s birth certificate to the Health Coverage Enrollment/Status Change Form in order to enroll a child for vision coverage.
    • Children between age 19–25 who are full-time students: Proof of full-time student status must be submitted along with the Health Coverage Enrollment/Status Change Form when enrolling your dependent.
      • Acceptable proof: Official school class schedule showing current enrollment in classes with at least 12 credits, tuition bill showing full-time enrollment, or letter from registrar indicating full-time enrollment. The dependent child’s name and the name of the school must be on the document.
      • Unacceptable proof: Financial aid award letter or school acceptance letter.

See below for 2018 premium rates—i.e., your co-share—for your vision coverage.

A co-share is the amount you must pay each pay period for health insurance. Co-shares vary by individual vs. family coverage, as well as by annual salary and full-time/part-time status. Co-shares listed here are for classified and unclassified State employees only. College employees should refer to their college/university website (URI, RIC, CCRI) for their co-shares.

Individual plans (bi-weekly co-shares)

Full-time employees
Annual Base Salary Percentage* Co-Share
<$95,481 20% $0.44
>$95,481 25% $0.55
Part-time employees**
Annual Base Salary Percentage* Co-Share
<$90,000 20% $0.44
>$90,000 35% $0.77

Family plans (bi-weekly co-shares)

Full-time employees
Annual Base Salary Percentage* Co-Share
<$49,670 15% $0.91
$49,670–$95,481 20% $1.21
>$95,481 25% $1.51
Part-time employees**
Annual Base Salary Percentage* Co-Share
<$90,000 20% $1.21
>$90,000 25% $2.11

* Percent of vision plan working rate.
** If your scheduled work hours are fewer than the full hours specified for your position, you will be classified as a part-time employee. Your co-share amount is determined according to the full-time annual salary for your job specification, not your part-time wages actually earned.

Please contact VSP to find a participating doctor or if you have other questions regarding your vision coverage: