Any State employee that satisfies all of the following criteria is eligible to enroll:
- Holds a non-seasonal position
- Scheduled to work at least 20 hours per week
- Not on leave without pay (LWOP)
The following dependents are also eligible for enrollment:
- Domestic partner
- If your domestic partner does not meet the definition of a dependent pursuant to Internal Revenue Code Section 152 (as modified by Section 105(b)), federal law requires that the fair market value of any State health coverage extended to your domestic partner must be imputed to you as income on your paycheck and must be reflected on the W-2 issued to you by the State of Rhode Island. For example, if you were a 26 pay-period employee covering your domestic partner under the State medical, dental and vision plans, your imputed income would be around $200 per pay period and be deducted from each paycheck.
- If you get married, or if your domestic partnership ends, it is YOUR responsibility to inform the Office of Employee Benefits in writing immediately. Your failure to do so will prevent you from obtaining refunds of co-shares paid and/or imputed income tax withheld. The Office of Employee Benefits will not coordinate such refunds if it is not notified within 31 days of the date of the change.
- Children* (Up to the end of the month in which they reach age 26. At that time, COBRA continuation coverage will be offered.)
* Children of domestic partners are not eligible unless they are also the natural/adopted child of the employee, or the employee has legal guardianship.